The Writing Continues....


Though this blog has come to a grinding halt since I had my son and lost regular internet access, my writing attempts continue. This year, I participated in Nanowrimo for the 2nd year in a row. I found that it was easier than last year and I felt that my overall work was much improved. My short story challenge last year (I wrote one short story every day for a month) and my poetry challenge (same thing, but with poetry) helped me improve on plot development and the places where poetry or rhyme was necessary in my story. This year I hope to improve on revision, as I often find it much easier to create something new than to fix the problems of my past work.

I ended up with a 50,000 word novel entitled, "The Selkie Prince," which is a work of children's fiction involving identical twins from California who study abroad at Oxford and get transported to a magical world quite a bit like the Orkney islands North of the Scottish coast. There are selkies, hogboons, trows, talking otters, an evil witch, and an epic battle of good versus evil. This will be the 3rd book I've completed, and the 4th I've attempted. Every time I get just a little bit better.  I am looking forward to 2014 and the new writing challenges and improvements I will make.

I am going to spend the next 6 months revising the book and re-reading some of my favorite children's fiction. I hope to begin queries around June of 2014. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sure I'm trailer-trash- Do you have a problem with that?

Kitten update

Actual Conversation Between my Children Overheard This Morning