My photo
Lake Isabella, CA, United States
I am an aspiring writer in the Kern River Valley. This blog is a "test kitchen" to try different writing styles and to work through the many rejections and the handful of acceptances my work has received. But no matter what other people say about my writing, at least my mother thinks I'm a good writer!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lemonade: proudly rejected by Poetry Magazine

I wrote this poem in college after I gave a few dramatic monologues with very little positive response.

Lemonade
When the limelight turns on, I stand in the center with a clear plastic pitcher.
I pour out my heart like lemonade (sour and sweet) and I serve it to the crowd in those little dixie cups,
and they sip a little, and toss out the rest as they walk out the door.
They walk together and say, "pretty good," "decent," "fairly good beginning," "that was a start."
When the limelight turns off, I stand in the center- all by myself, with an empty pitcher.
They thought my heart was mediocre.

2 comments:

  1. This is still one of my favorite of your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have always liked it, too, but I have submitted it to three different magazines and they all turned it down. Crazy editors.

    ReplyDelete