My photo
Lake Isabella, CA, United States
I am an aspiring writer in the Kern River Valley. This blog is a "test kitchen" to try different writing styles and to work through the many rejections and the handful of acceptances my work has received. But no matter what other people say about my writing, at least my mother thinks I'm a good writer!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Proudly rejected by Cricket and Highlights

I really like this poem. I know it's silly and kind of weird, but it's just fun. Unfortunately, Cricket and Highlights Magazine didn't agree.


The Mer-cats

Did you know, my darling pet,

that there are kittens in the sea?

They sing a mewing mer-cat song,

They sing their song for thee.


They wish that you could play with them

And chase mer-mice in the waves,

That you could go exploring

And visit Mer-cat Caves.


Mer-cats look just like you,

But instead of feet, they have a tail,

Their whiskers are longer than their heads,

And their eyes look like a snail’s.


And every day the mer-cats

Lie out under the sea

In special mer-cat cat beds

Made of kelp, you see.


And did you know that mer-cats

Have mer-people for pets?

Mer-people swim to bring them fish

from special mer-cat nets.

But did you know, my darling pet,

that you will never get,

To visit mewing mer-cats,

And their under-water pets?


Because you’ll never place a paw

Anywhere near the sea.

You are terrified of water,

Though the mer-cats sing for thee.







1 comment: