My photo
Lake Isabella, CA, United States
I am an aspiring writer in the Kern River Valley. This blog is a "test kitchen" to try different writing styles and to work through the many rejections and the handful of acceptances my work has received. But no matter what other people say about my writing, at least my mother thinks I'm a good writer!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Hope Springs Eternal- like some sort of malevolent geyser that wants me to fail.



http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/images/pglossary/geyser.php

Last year, for National Poetry Month, my local library held a poetry competition. I submitted a poem that I thought was pretty original. You can read the poem and some of my thoughts about the competition here.

Well, there were a lot of submissions that year, and my poem didn't warrant even an honorable mention...I would have settled for a little scrawl from one of the judges saying they liked it.

So I wasn't thrilled with that, and I felt like, "If I can't even win a community poetry competition...what makes me think I have any business submitting my stuff to actual literary professional magazines?"

This year, when national poetry month rolled around, I was ambivalent about entering the contest again. In fact, I told my husband, "No way am I doing that again!" However, as time went by, hope began to creep back into my heart, and I realized, it's a new year. I'm already a better writer than I was a year ago, or six years ago, when I wrote that poem. If I can't take a little rejection and try again, then I will never be successful at this.

Ergo, yesterday I dropped off a new poem for this year's competition. It's more traditional than last year's, in fact, it's so traditional it's a sonnet!

Whatever happens, I am proud of myself for trying again.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about contests and magazines. Good for you going in again!

    ReplyDelete